Cathedral of the Holy Trinity Mendel
Photograph: Luc-Antoine Couturier
Also available in French under the title: La Cathédrale Holy Trinity
An historic monument of national significance, the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity has served as an inspiring place of worship for more than two centuries. Constructed between 1800 and 1804, it was the first Anglican Cathedral to be built outside the British Isles. The Cathedral was designed by two British artillery officers who took their inspiration from the plans of a famous church on Trafalgar Square, in London, England: St Martin- in-the-Fields. With superb stained glass windows made by British craftsmen, magnificent Communion silver given by King George III, and monuments worthy of Westminster Abbey, it is a quintessentially English church in the heart of French-speaking Quebec. Among the treasures to be found in the Cathedral are a rare English chamber organ, made in London in 1790, and a set of eight English bells, made in London in 1830. With an interesting and accessible text, based on extensive research, this book is abundantly illustrated with historic images and superb photographs by Luc-Antoine Couturier. Based on the format of the larger books in the Mendel Guide Collection, this smaller publication, which is devoted to a specific historic site, displays the same tradition of excellence for which the Mendel Guides are known.
David Mendel, President of Mendel Tours, is an architectural historian and renowned speaker. He has often guided heads of state visiting Quebec City, and has organized tours and seminars for more than 25 years. A resident of Quebec’s historic district since 1976, he is President of the Foundation of the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity – the first Anglican Cathedral built outside the British Isles – and a member of the Consulting Committee for Religious Architecture of the City of Quebec.